Locomotive, rolling stock and Railway EMC Compliance Testing
EMC Compliance for Railway applications
Train and Railway EMC testing, compliance and approvals. The EN 50121-x sets out a framework for managing EMC for railways. EN 50121-x series also specifies the limits of emissions and levels of immunity testing. These requirements are applicable to each component and the railway system as a whole. Including within the boundaries of the railway itself and also to the outside world. This is to try to ensure that the when integration of new systems occurs that they are ‘fit for purpose’. In addition to complying with the appropriate EMC directive.
The railway standards include both emissions and immunity testing. Some of the emissions testings include the basic Radiated emissions (electric field). This can be performed on a test site or at a location. Also conducted emissions on the traction AC ports, traction DC ports, Auxiliary a.c. or d.c. power ports, Battery referenced ports, Process measurement and control ports.
The immunity testing usually consists of relatively higher applied stress test levels. When comparing to consumer product testing. This is due to the harsh intended electromagnetic and transient environment of the railway. Immunity testing includes testing such as:
- Radio-frequency common mode
- Fast transients
- Radio-frequency electromagnetic field
Amplitudemodulated, radio-frequency electromagnetic field
- Radio-frequency electromagnetic field from digital mobile telephones
EMC Bayswater laboratory Train and Railway EMC Testing capability
- EN 50121-3-1 Railway Applications – Electromagnetic Compatibility – Part 3-1: Rolling Stock – Train and complete vehicle
- EN 50121-3-2 (NATA accredited) Railway Applications – Electromagnetic Compatibility – Part 3-2: Rolling stock. Apparatus
- EN 50121-4 (NATA accredited) Railway Applications – Electromagnetic Compatibility – Part 4: Emissions and immunity of the signalling and telecommunications apparatus
- EN 50155 (NATA accredited to Clauses 5.4 and 5.5) Railway Applications – Electronic equipment used on rolling stock.
We can test rolling stock apparatus here in the laboratory. Or test trains and rolling stock on site anywhere in Australia or Australasia. Please view our accredited train and railway EMC testing scope by following the link.